Saturday, November 23, 2013

A Rain Storm in the Garden!

This morning after I woke up to the wonderful pitter-patter sound of Mother Nature providing the desert I live in with much appreciated rain, (Which it has been raining for the past 3 days straight now!) I decided to check on the garden to see what kind of progress it has been making since the fall/winter weather is finally settling in the Greater Las Vegas Region. I walked outside, opened the gate and found a lovely surprise! My Red Russian Kale, (I grow Nero di Toscana Kale as well, or Black Kale from Tuscany) is still growing and still plans to grow! Next, I took a walk around the garden to see what else looked good and was photo worthy for my precious viewers, you guys!

 I went near my tomatoes and about half of them are starting to produce crop, but this little guy is taking his sweet time! It's still a good looking plant, and by far needs another run of healthy manure or a mix of plant tea (Which could be the only reason why it hasn't much fruit on it as of yet!). This breed of tomato is actually from Rome, Italy. I have family out there whom has been kind and generous enough to send me these lovely and delicious tomato seeds. Thanks Ziju!!
 After seeing how my tomatoes were fairing with this streak of weird weather, I checked on my abundant Santa Fe Peppers. These specific breed people say isn't that spicy, but that's because most people pick them when they are still green. This breed will change colour to yellow and that's when it will pack one hell of a punch! I use this pepper for my ramen constantly, it has such an addictive heat level and taste!
And finally, I came round to one of my favourite herbs, Sweet Basil. I love the fragrance and flavour when this herb is used in any dish that calls for it. I noticed it was still flowering and producing new leafs and nodes as well. Which is always an exciting thing to see. One cool thing I learned about Basil when I was a young boy, the Romans used Basil to cleanse their palettes and for deodorant. Who can't say no to someone smelling like fresh herbs, am I right?! And that's how I ended my morning walk through the garden. Nothing is more beautiful nor beneficial for a family to garden together. By teaching the newer generations to garden, it ensures that they will understand their food and know when it's fresh to eat or not. Until next time fellow green thumbs and gardening enthusiasts! Keep it Green and Keep it Growing! Ciao!!!





HyperSmash

No comments:

Post a Comment

Fall Crops, easy crops for beginners part 5 Spinach and Broccoli

And we are back with the 5th entry in the FALL CROPS series!! In this entry I will be covering on how to plant and take care of Spinach an...