Friday, March 7, 2014

Asparagus: Companion Plants and Plants to Avoid!!


Original Photo: plantfreak.wordpress.com


    I don't know about you folks, but I love it when my Fiancee makes Roasted Asparagus to go with our steaks or to go with the perfect Baked Potato! I think Asparagus just gives whatever dish the right amount of eye candy and flavour anyone can ask for.

   That being said, I decided to share with you my knowledge of what to grow with Asparagus and what can cause harm to your Asparagus Plants. **Asparagus Plants take between 2 to 3 years to produce edible spears which grow straight from the ground. I recommend harvesting this spears with an inch left showing above the ground so it can promote a healthy regrowth of new spears.**

   Asparagus help TOMATOES and PARSLEY.

   Asparagus are helped by DILL, CORIANDER, TOMATOES, PARSLEY, BASIL, COMFREY, MARIGOLDS and NASTURTIUMS.

   (The best companion plant in my opinion is BASIL for the fact that if you plant your Asparagus and Basil together, that will actually promote Lady Bugs to come and visit your organic garden more frequently. Lady Bugs love that combination!)

   AVOID PLANTING ASPARAGUS NEAR ONIONS, GARLIC, POTATOES AND GLADIOLAS! **These plants will most likely attract bad bugs and promote poor growth to any and all Asparagus Cultivar**

   I hope this list helps you with plotting out where your Asparagus Spears will be growing, and remember it does take time for your Asparagus to actually produce edible crop so don't freak out if it doesn't produce quality edible spears within the first 2 years. Until next time folks...


¤ KEEP IT GREEN! KEEP IT GROWING!! <3




HyperSmash

No comments:

Post a Comment

Fall Crops, easy crops for beginners part 5 Spinach and Broccoli

And we are back with the 5th entry in the FALL CROPS series!! In this entry I will be covering on how to plant and take care of Spinach an...