Sunday, November 17, 2013

Harvesting Carrots, Leeks, Peppers, and Red Onions!!

I had the awesome ability to pick some crop from the garden that had looked good enough to eat. So I decided to take some pictures to savor the miniature harvest. I felt like pulling some carrots out so we could roast them later. I asked my fiancee to come out there with me and pick some of the crop she liked as well. My first choice to harvest was this big guy you see right here, it's actually a yellow carrot. This particular carrot was fairly enormous considering the space I gave it to grow was under the recommended space between seeds. I was thrilled to see this size of a carrot coming from my garden, I felt proud!

My fiancee went to go pull the white carrot and the other two carrots came up with it, the orange and yellow one. They all smelled fresh and delicious, so we decided to roast these carrots as well at a later time. And I still have around a dozen carrots that will be hopefully done by Thanksgiving. I planted my carrots specifically so they could of been harvested for Thanksgiving and I hope that I was correct!

After picking some alliums' that were too close growing to another crop, I then pick two nice looking bell peppers that were on the mild spice side. The onions are Red Torpedo Onions, the leek is an English Leek, my peppers were Fajita Peppers, and the carrots were Rainbow Heirloom. I then cleaned these fine looking crop so I could freeze them for later use. Growing your own food is completely rewarding and nutritious for you. You will feel accomplished after growing and eating your food. If you have children, this will also be a fun activity to do with them. Let them learn where and how their food source is coming to them. Your children will be completely fascinated with the concept of fresh food, just like you will too!  Until next time fellow gardeners, Keep it Green and Keep it Growing!
HyperSmash

No comments:

Post a Comment

Fall Crops, easy crops for beginners part 5 Spinach and Broccoli

And we are back with the 5th entry in the FALL CROPS series!! In this entry I will be covering on how to plant and take care of Spinach an...