Wednesday, August 2, 2017

Beets, An easy and rewarding crop

BEET CRAZY!

Ruby Red Beet
(Sow 2-3 seeds every 6-8 inches)


Hello friends,

        It's been super hot the past couple of weeks, and I have been going at it non-stop! I had a chance to start planning my future crop for my fall garden. So I thought to myself, what should I grow that will store well in the pantry and what vegetable is on the higher price end of my market list. After a long deliberation with my fiancee debating which recipes we will be using during the fall, we narrowed down the list. We chose beets because of being able to use multiple parts of the crop, including the beet greens that just constantly keep regrowing after harvesting them above the beetroot.


       We started by planting a 3 foot by 3 foot garden, making rows every 6 inches (6 rows in total). Then we started planting 2-3 seeds every 6-8 inches apart, giving enough space to thin and replant any beetroots that need room to grow properly. Be prepared to see growth within a week, and in about a month you can enjoy the tender beet greens the beetroot will start to produce.

 
       I've always been asked, "How big can I grow my beet? If I grow it too big will it still be edible?" Personally I've grown some ridiculous sized beetroots (just to motivate the students I taught throughout the Clark County School District on how to garden) which you can see in the photo above. It is still edible, I would recommend to use it in a juice or reduction because of the woody texture from being grown a bit big. Children love pulling this crop out from the ground just because they only can see a portion of the beetroot and find it as a competition to pull the biggest one out.

       Beetroots are one of the easiest and least stressful plants to grow for the amateur or beginning gardener, or if you feel like growing them for your students/children. Again thank you for reading and please stay in touch with future blog posts, I post daily on Instagram!

Happy Gardening!

Farmer Jeff


Instagram &  YouTube

No comments:

Post a Comment

Fall Crops, easy crops for beginners part 5 Spinach and Broccoli

And we are back with the 5th entry in the FALL CROPS series!! In this entry I will be covering on how to plant and take care of Spinach an...