Friday, August 4, 2017

Fall Planting!!

Hello Friends!

Artichoke Heart Blossom

     Yet again another growing season has passed and fall is upon us! Now is the time you should start planting any fall crop from seed, it is the perfect germination temperature for your seed. Now all that is left is to figure out what you should be planting!


     For me I always figure out what fall crops I will be planting by looking through various fall cooking recipes that my family uses on a consistent basis. Then I take it a step even further, I research the higher cost crops for my region and then decided which crops I should plant heavily or not based on the amount I need for the fall. And if I over grow some vegetables/fruit, I share the bounty with my neighbors, community and loved ones.

Haricot Vert Dinner Harvest

     So how does one determine when a seed should go into the ground? Well pay attention to your weather. For my region I plant a bit early compared to other gardeners in other areas. my area (Las Vegas) has high chances of dry heat with minimal humidity, which can cause huge bounties of crop or can dwarf the crop depending on how the plant is taking to the extreme weather patterns.

     I do everything from seed, and the way I plant my seed is only digging about half an inch into the soil and over sowing certain types of vegetables just so I can thin them out and replant in a different spot in my garden. If you have sown a bit too much and can't replant anywhere in your garden due to space, I recommend using that crop as a component in your compost. Turn that waste to garden soil!


     Go out there and get your hands dirty and bring a smile to your plate!

Farmer Jeff

Follow me on Instagram  Follow me on YouTube

No comments:

Post a Comment

Fall Crops, easy crops for beginners part 5 Spinach and Broccoli

And we are back with the 5th entry in the FALL CROPS series!! In this entry I will be covering on how to plant and take care of Spinach an...