Sunday, August 6, 2017

Fall Crops, easy crops for beginners part 2 Pumpkins & Eggplant

Hello Friends!!

     It's the continuation of Fall Crops! In this post I will be talking about more beginner level vegetable/fruit crops that you can grow with minimal effort. So let's get started 😁

New England Pie Pumpkin, Harvest after 65-90 days from germination

     Whenever I think of any fall crop the first thing comes to my mind are pumpkins. Pumpkins are extremely versatile. You can store them up to 4 months and they will still be edible. You can turn them into home grown jack-o-lanterns and make it a new family tradition. Or you can just harvest them right away, make some pies or dredge them in tempura batter for a quick fry. Pumpkins are  high in vitamin A, fiber, antioxidants and potassium.

     When planting your pumpkins please make sure you have enough space for a huge vine to grow. I've grown over 20 different varieties of pumpkins and certain vines can grow from 15 feet ( 4,5 metres ) long to 35 feet ( 10,6 metres ) long. Sow 3-5 pumpkin seeds in your garden, and when the seeds have sprouted thin out your pumpkin seedlings to one plant. That way you can get the most nutritional value from your pumpkin harvest and also you will have an easier time maintaining one pumpkin vine instead of 3 growing from the same spot. A word of caution with pumpkins, you will have some squash bugs attack your vine!!  The best and most effective organic way to deal with squash bugs is by using diatomaceous earth, which is a powder. You can either sprinkle the powder all over your plant or use an accordion sprayer (a miniature bellows) to apply the powder all over the foliage of your vine, front and back of leaves.
Black Beauty Eggplant, harvest 55-80 days after germination
Plant can last up to 3 growing seasons

     Eggplants are the one crop that I always think I end up planting enough of but end up getting a ridiculous bounty from just 1 plant. The photo above is also a harvest from just 1 plant and the most amazing thing is your Eggplant bush can provide you with a harvest like this every 3 weeks. Eggplant is rich in antioxidants, helps lower cholesterol, high in fiber, and vitamins A, B & C.

     When looking for a spot to plant your Eggplant starters there are several factors that come into play. First, make sure to have enough space. Eggplants can grow to 4 feet ( ) in circumference. Second, make sure to have something to trellis the Eggplants on. For me being in a valley, the wind can rip through at high speeds. So it is best to secure the plant either by trellising it or by using poles to keep the stems of the plant from just lying on the ground. You do NOT want to have your crop lying on the soil because the portion of the crop that is sitting on the soil will start to mold. Third, make sure to have some thick gloves and be careful when you tend to this plant. Eggplants have thorns on the crop itself and on the plant. The only issues I have had with growing Eggplants are rust spots, which can be easily taken care of with a quick Calcium Magnesium solution. 

     I hope my research helps you all out with deciding what to plant and your concerns growing pumpkins and eggplants for fall. I find so much joy writing these guides for you all. I cannot thank you enough for living my passion with me. Again thank you all and please follow/subscribe to stay updated with all my posts and future videos. I post on Instagram daily, so follow me if you'd like. Mention that you found my blog and I will promote your Instagram! Till next time folks....


     Happy Gardening!!

Farmer Jeff <3






No comments:

Post a Comment

Fall Crops, easy crops for beginners part 5 Spinach and Broccoli

And we are back with the 5th entry in the FALL CROPS series!! In this entry I will be covering on how to plant and take care of Spinach an...