Monday, August 7, 2017

Fall Crops, easy crops for beginners part 3 Escarole, Romaine, Bibb, Red Leaf Lettuce & Bok Choy

FALL CROPS BLOG SERIES PART 3


      We are back with the third entry in our "Fall Crops" Blog Series for beginner gardeners! In this post we will be covering more Fall Crops that are super easy to maintain and have high return on harvest and nutritional value. Let's get started!


Escarole, Romaine Lettuce , Red Leaf Lettuce and Bibb Lettuce
harvest 25-50 days after seeds are sown

     Whenever anyone thinks of Fall Crops, they barely mention lettuce. Lettuce or Salad Greens are almost always associated with Spring, but they can grow year round if you know how to manipulate your garden into having a series of different micro-climates. Most Lettuce or Salad Greens contain solid amounts of Vitamin A & K, which aides various organs in our body. (The heart, lungs and kidneys). 

     As you can see in the photo I mixed my Salad Greens together, they are not grown in individual rows. I did this for aesthetic reasons not because of some grand scheme. You can plant one variety in rows if you'd prefer. When I sow my Salad Greens I plant extra, reason being is that when you thin Salad Greens, they can just go right into a salad bowl as a micro or baby version of your fully grown crop. When I thin I leave at least 2-4 inches ( 5-10 cm ) of space in between each head of lettuce. 


Bok Choy, 
harvest 30-55 days after seeds sprouted

     I've always grown Bok Choy in spring and fall. So for me it's a must have! Super hardy plant, little disease and infestation issues. An extremely easy crop to grow for first time gardeners! Whenever I went to the lower level public schools and the students who have never been in a garden before come to see what is growing, I have them plant their own Bok Choy seed. Just by doing that gesture the student was more involved and wanted to actually see their seed grow. I have always had success with this method and that's why I recommend it as a beginner crop. If a 5 year old can do it, you can too. 😁

     Bok Choy has high traces of Vitamin A, Fiber, B-complex Vitamins, Calcium, Potassium, Phosphorus, Manganese and Iron. Making it a well sought out vegetable for people whom are doing RAW diets and are Vegan or Vegetarian.

     In the photo above, you can see the Bok Choy is fully mature. I planted the seed about 35 days ago, and that is the result of growth. When I planted the seed I made sure to have enough space, about 10-12 inches ( 25-30 cm ) of space in between each seed. I gave it that much space just so that the airflow in between each crop won't be stagnant, if it is stagnant it can lead to a whole slew of bacteria issues that you can just avoid by planting at proper lengths. I planted 4 seeds in each hole, thinning out as they sprouted leaving the best looking plant left so it can grow into the beauty you see above. 

     Remember folks, all we have is time! Why not pass the time with a beautiful vegetable garden that you can reap the benefits from and share its bounty with your loved ones. Or if you are just a health nut then why don't you start a garden for your own well being. Freshest most nutritional food comes straight from the garden, not from the market were it takes time from shipping and handling to then being put on display in the market. Which usually takes about two weeks! So imagine all those nutrients that are dieing off because of the way our food is handled. 

Until next Episode....

Happy Gardening

Farmer Jeff😍



No comments:

Post a Comment

Fall Crops, easy crops for beginners part 5 Spinach and Broccoli

And we are back with the 5th entry in the FALL CROPS series!! In this entry I will be covering on how to plant and take care of Spinach an...