Saturday, August 5, 2017

Fall Crops, easy crops for beginners Part 1 Kohlrabi, Turnips & Cabbage

Hello Friends!!

     It's such a beautiful time of year. The weather starts to cool down, rain storms pass by every week which means it is the perfect time to start your fall garden to have a huge bounty throughout the season, especially for holiday events like Halloween or Thanksgiving. I figured, why not share my fall planting tips and what fall crop I plant with you all. So let's get started!

 Kohlrabi, grown for 55-75 days before harvesting

     Kohlrabi has a high nutritional value, high fiber content and low calorie count. The flavour is compared between a broccoli stem and cabbage, which I agree with but has a sweeter taste. Now when I plant this crop I always leave 8 inches of space (20 cm) in between each seed I plant so that the crop will have enough space to grow healthily, also so that the air in between the plants does not become stagnant. That is when serious bacteria can develop. When its harvest time I pull the whole crop out cut the stem off, clean it and freeze it. The stem is also edible but I use it for vegetable stock. Waste not want not!

Milan Purple Turnip, grown for 40-65 days depending on what size you want

     Turnips are super delicious and provide us with antioxidants, minerals vitamins and dietary fiber which our body needs to function at a healthy level. Only downside is that this crop, like kohlrabi, has a low calorie count as well. When I sow my turnip seeds I am not too worried about sowing too many at once, reason being turnips are super easy to thin and replant. The turnip will go into shock when you replant it, what I do is water the replanted turnip a bit extra for 3-4 days. After the turnips have started growing I thin the crop so that there is at least 3-4 inches (7-10 cm) of space in between each one. That way the turnip can grow to a decent globe form without impacting the vegetable growth itself.


Cabbage, 55-70 days from seed sowing. Some varieties take on faster.

     Cabbage is a versatile crop, you can cook it in almost any type of cuisine and it will taste brilliantly delicious. Cabbage is a great source of antioxidants and vitamin C, with a low calorie count and also low fat count. Great vegetable if you are into eating raw, vegan or vegetarian. When I sow my cabbage seeds I only sow 3-4 seeds at a time. Cabbage does not take well when thinning and replanting so I would rather not waste any of my organic seed just to make sure I get a cabbage crop. What I do is I start my baby cabbage inside for about 2 months, June-July for fall planting and October-November for spring planting. After that propagation period I bring my cabbage starters to the garden and plant them with 6-8 inches (15-20 cm) apart depending on how big of a cabbage crop I'd like. 

I'll be posting more Fall Crop blogs daily so keep a look out for them!

Happy Gardening!

Farmer Jeff

Follow me on Instagram! I follow back<3
Follow me on YouTube! i'll follow back <3

No comments:

Post a Comment

Fall Crops, easy crops for beginners part 5 Spinach and Broccoli

And we are back with the 5th entry in the FALL CROPS series!! In this entry I will be covering on how to plant and take care of Spinach an...