Sunday, February 23, 2014

Soil, Soil, Soil!!



    Another Spring Season has come! Which means, for us gardeners, that it is time to break into the previous Winter Season's compost dirt pile and enrich it further with some steer manure! After dumping my compost dirt pile and cleaning through the various rubbish that did not fully decompose, your compost should look like this. For me, and other avid gardeners, compost is as good as gold. Without a great compost, your crop won't be as plentiful or as mature as it could be. You do not necessarily have to use a kiddie pool like I did, you can also use a tarp or a garbage bag that has been fully opened and flattened out.

    Compost is always going to be on any organic gardeners list of things they have to continually upkeep. I cannot express how important it is to have compost on hand. You never know how your crop is going to take to your prepared soil, especially if you mix up cultivars like I do (i.e. two tomato plants but one a beefsteak and the other a roma). I usually add more compost to my plants roughly around two to three months into growth so that when I harvest the plants crop for the first run I will have a great probability of the plant to reproduce an equally or greater crop with the second run.

    It's always a fun thing to dirty your hands and get in touch with nature through gardening. Until next time folks....


¤ Keep it GREEN and Keep it GROWING!!




HyperSmash

No comments:

Post a Comment

Fall Crops, easy crops for beginners part 5 Spinach and Broccoli

And we are back with the 5th entry in the FALL CROPS series!! In this entry I will be covering on how to plant and take care of Spinach an...