Thursday, February 27, 2014

HOW TO TELL WHEN YOUR VEGGIE PLANT IS PRODUCING SEED!


Organically Grown Lacinato *Dinosaur* Kale

    I have had so many people ask me how can they tell when their plant is producing seed, more importantly WHEN to harvest these seeds and how to properly store said seed. Well as you can see with the picture above, this specific Lacinato (Dinosaur) Kale is in flower and has buds forming above said flowers. Those buds at the top are the seeds one should be harvesting. Each time you grow a plant in your specific climate, that plants genetics adopt to grow in your area more effectively. So, my opinion for you is to continually harvesting your own seeds and replanting them so that after a while your seeds will grow more abundantly in your region.

Organically Grown Lacinato *Dinosaur* Kale

    Now for me, I have a rule, I DO NOT harvest any seeds from a plant that has not started flowering. After continual trial and error I found that seeds harvested from a flowering plant have a higher germination rate than harvesting seeds from a plant that has yet to produce a flower. So if you are going to start harvesting and cultivating your own seeds from your plants, I encourage you to wait till at least one flower blossoms. It will increase your odds of another successful season of seeds that will truly germinate.

    I hope this helps you fine folk figure out how to find your seeds and more importantly, I hope it helps you harvest seeds that will indeed germinate at a rate higher than seventy percent. Until next time....


¤ Keep it GREEN and Keep it GROWING!




HyperSmash

No comments:

Post a Comment

Fall Crops, easy crops for beginners part 5 Spinach and Broccoli

And we are back with the 5th entry in the FALL CROPS series!! In this entry I will be covering on how to plant and take care of Spinach an...