Saturday, December 14, 2013

Growing Healthy Organic Herbs For Your Cooking!

    I love the aroma of fresh garden herbs used in our kitchen. I would live in that smell if that was humanly possible. Everyone, everywhere uses herbs to cook and enhance the dish's flavour. I love using the harder to find strains of herbs because of the added effect they give to the dishes they are meant to be enhancing. I am currently propagating a few different breeds of herbs for my indoor garden. Everything you see is grown organically and I eventually will be making some seed packets to send out to any gardeners whom wish to grow these breeds. These herbs will be fully mature about late February to early March.

Christmas Basil - A Great Britain cross-bred Basil, mix of Thai and Genovese. Has a mulled-wine aroma which most people associate Christmas with, hence it's name.
German Thyme - I chose this specific breed because I can just not worry about it dying through Winter, for it is Winter hardy. My Lemon Thyme didn't make it this year so I am giving this breed a go.
Italian Oregano - The most popular Culinary Oregano because of the flavour not being over-powering to ones palette. A bit milder than Greek Oregano in my opinion.















    Nothing will ever beat fresh herbs, especially the smell of them. Potted herbs make great house decorations, just make sure to put it in a spot that gets enough fresh sunlight. When friends or relatives come over that pot of herbs will be a great conversation and maybe pass the idea of growing your own herbs to someone else.

Until next time, Keep it Green and Keep it Growing!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Fall Crops, easy crops for beginners part 5 Spinach and Broccoli

And we are back with the 5th entry in the FALL CROPS series!! In this entry I will be covering on how to plant and take care of Spinach an...