Monday, December 30, 2013

Lettuce in a Pot: End of Week 2



    Nothing is better than a show in progress, that in itself is a righteous reward. I have to be honest and say that within this past week I have not been as attentive to my indoor garden as I should of been. None the less, here is my update on my potted indoor plants.

Organic Eros Escarole 

    Eros escarole is one of the most pungent of escarole I have ever grown. This growth is some-what slow considering how fast they grew when I planted them in one of my raised garden beds in spring. I am going to try the "cut and come again" technique for my escarole so I can see if the leaves it reproduces are actually high in nutritional value. (Certain leafy greens should not be used with the "cut and come again" technique. Look out for a future blog post on my list of "cut and come again" leafy greens.)

Organic Giant Caesar Lettuce

    Look at the growth, it's amazingly inspiring. Giant Caesar Lettuce has to be a leafy green that I recommend and use in almost all of the salad mixes I make and eat. It is that divine to me. I have also wanted to try using this specific leafy green as "lettuce wraps", the size and width of the leaf make it the perfect candidate for such uses. I would recommend this specific lettuce for someone who is first starting out gardening, it is extremely easy to take care of and can reproduce well with the "cut and come again" technique.

Organic Gourmet European Salad Mix (Mesclun)

    Such a fast starter and producer this Mesclun is, requires minimal grooming and is a great for beginners. Mesclun usually only takes between twenty to thirty days to fully mature, which is great for people whom enjoy fresh grown salads. This particular mix will only need salad dressing to accompany it no seasoning because of the different mild flavours each leafy green being grown produces, which is an amazing healthy feat. I will be enjoying these guys fairly soon with some home made salad dressing that I will definitely have a post on for you guys to spread the recipe!

I hope this inspires you to start your own grow-log or maybe into eating healthier. Spread the word and pass on this clean feat!

Until next time, Keep it Green and Keep it Growing.


HyperSmash

No comments:

Post a Comment

Fall Crops, easy crops for beginners part 5 Spinach and Broccoli

And we are back with the 5th entry in the FALL CROPS series!! In this entry I will be covering on how to plant and take care of Spinach an...