Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Healthy Organic Onion Soup, Elegantly Home-made

When it's cold and dreary outside, for me, it means soup time. I just love having soup when its freezing. Letting it warm me up from the inside whilst I enjoy the delicious flavour. Nothing beats it. For today's soup my Fiancee and I decided it was best to make an Onion Soup. I never understood why everyone calls it a "French Onion Soup", there isn't anything French about it. This soup is made to be extremely rich.

First step is to get a stock pot, put some oil at the bottom, then drop your Oxtails filled with bone-marrow at the bottom to render. Only cook enough so the Oxtails turn slightly brown. 7-10 minutes on Medium Heat!

Whilst waiting for your Oxtails to brown, cut up some onions. They do not have to be uniformly cut, unless you want to do so like I did. I leave my onions roughly an inch thick. In total you will need 6-8 Medium Onions.

Once done cutting your Onions and once the Oxtails have indeed been browned, add your Onions to the stock pot to sweat. During this step, I add garlic and whatever seasonings to enhance the flavour. This time I added salt and pepper. About 20-30 minutes of sweating time.
After letting the onions sweat a bit, it's time to caramelize them.I add a couple bay leaves, some thyme, rosemary, and a portion of red wine. I prefer Cabernet Sauvignon over any particular red wines for this soup. It just works well with all the added components. Although I have tried using Port Beer, preferably a British Port, which also blends with the flavours quite nicely. Caramelize and Reduce Wine for as long as you want to. This is the stage where the flavour develops quite nicely.

This is what amazing caramelized onions look like. If yours looks like this, you're on the right path. Add about 12-14 Quarts of Stock, (2/3 Beef Stock-1/3 Vegetable Stock or 2/3 Beef Stock-1/3 Veal Stock) and bring to a boil. Once at a boil, bring down the heat to a simmer (tiny bubbles) and let the soup simmer for about a half hour before you eat.

Look at how delicious this is! I hope this helps you find a way to make a better more elegant onion soup for your family in this cold time of year. Thanks again and keep on the look out for more Healthy Organic Recipes!


HyperSmash

No comments:

Post a Comment

Fall Crops, easy crops for beginners part 5 Spinach and Broccoli

And we are back with the 5th entry in the FALL CROPS series!! In this entry I will be covering on how to plant and take care of Spinach an...