Sunday, December 1, 2013

Time to start some Plants Indoors!!

           Tis' the season to be starting seedlings indoors! Why you ask? Well for two reasons, to have some crop indoors throughout winter and to have plants growing and ready for the transplanting stage in spring! Yes, I start my seedlings a little bit earlier than normal because I like them to start the flowering stage right before I transplant it back outside. The cold isn't good for most plants, some breeds of pumpkins and onions actually grow whilst it's still snowing.

Lighting                                                                                         

           I start off my babies underneath a 100 watt warm fluorescent bulb. They will stay under said bulb until the plant starts to outgrow its container, (I usually start my seedlings off in a "SOLO" plastic cups. One with holes poked through the bottom (about 5 or 6 holes) that contains the soil and seedling, and the other as the acting reservoir.

Soil                                                                                                  

          For all of my seed starting, I always use Black Gold by Sun Gro Horticulture. No if's, and's nor but's. This particular soil combination does the plant justice in my particular region outside, and also indoors it's supreme! After my seedlings reach the transplanting stage, I add to the mix Coco soil (any organic brand will do), Vermiculite, steer manure, and some organic compost (fruit peels, worm castings, dead plant matter, ect.).

Water                                                                                             

         Each Plant has a varied amount of water you need to give it. (Example: Herbs intake less water than fruits or vegetables) Just make sure to water enough that the soil on top is moist but not drenched. If you are growing indoors you only should water once a day or once every other day depending on the size of your plants. If you are outdoors, that's a different matter. You have to account for the sun, how much water is being evaporated throughout the day, if it's going to rain that day, or if you have a hot day which makes the plants more thirsty.

 ¤ Well I don't know about you guys, but I'm getting excited to start the indoor growing process yet again! I just love seeing life sprout before my eyes, providing me with my own form of the "Garden of Eden", except no serpent to tempt! Haha! But seriously, it's amazing to grow a plant but more eye-opening once you grow your own food. The taste and smells of your own grown food do not compare to the ones you buy at the market.

        Until next time fellow green-thumbs and garden enthusiasts, Keep it Green and Keep it Growing! Ciao!!

HyperSmash

No comments:

Post a Comment

Fall Crops, easy crops for beginners part 5 Spinach and Broccoli

And we are back with the 5th entry in the FALL CROPS series!! In this entry I will be covering on how to plant and take care of Spinach an...