Wednesday, March 12, 2014

PRAYING MANTIS: A DESERT GARDENERS MATE!

ORGANICALLY GROWN GIANT DI ITALIA PARSLEY 

   Everyone always constantly asks me, "How do you maintain a healthy organic garden whilst combating 'Bad Bugs' without any pesticides or sprays?". Well folks, that is probably the easiest question to answer about organic gardening. I use 'Good Bugs' to combat the 'Bad Bugs'.

   Today I will be talking about Praying Mantis and reasons they actually benefit your garden. The Praying Mantis feeds on the majority of 'Bad Bugs' including; aphids, flies, roaches, squash bugs, and moths. If you let your Praying Mantis get big enough, it can actually eat mosquitoes and flies (unless a garden spider catches them in their web!).

ORGANICALLY GROWN GIANT DI ITALIA PARSLEY

   The scary thing about Praying Mantis are they can actually kill small rodents, frogs, snakes and small birds. Which can be a good thing, but you do need Hummingbirds in your garden to promote pollination and they also eat some 'Bad Bugs' as well.

   As you can see in the pictures above, I have attached my Praying Mantis egg sack onto a stake. The reason I did this is because in order to hatch properly, the egg sack has to be a foot or two off of the ground (0.3 metre - 0.6 metre off the ground). I put this egg sack in my Parsley patch because it provides the right amount of shade and wind-break, in which my opinion, is the best home you can offer these little garden defenders.

   I hope this helps you folks plan out your organic garden and realize, you don't need any pesticides or sprays to grow healthy organic food. Thanks again for reading my posts and staying with me on my sustainability journey! Feel free to add me on these various social media websites to see my constant updates of pictures from my Organic Desert Garden! **I FOLLOW BACK!!**

TWITTER   INSTAGRAM   BLOGSPOT   GOOGLE+   PINTREST


¤ KEEP IT GREEN AND KEEP IT GROWING!





HyperSmash

No comments:

Post a Comment

Fall Crops, easy crops for beginners part 5 Spinach and Broccoli

And we are back with the 5th entry in the FALL CROPS series!! In this entry I will be covering on how to plant and take care of Spinach an...