Monday, March 17, 2014

Pole Beans and Trellis'!

Organic Italian Pole Beans

   Pole Beans require a lot of time and water to germinate at first, but once you see growth like this, it will take off on a spurt. I love to plant my Pole Beans in a pot right next to a trellis. A lot of people have been asking, "Why do Pole Beans need a trellis to grow?". Well the simple answer is that Pole Beans grow vertically, this cultivar of Pole Bean you see above can get up to 8 feet high (2,6 metres). Some cultivars of Pole Beans can actually grow vertically up to 20 feet (6,6 metres), which to me is amazing that a plant can essentially cover a side of a building whilst insulating the building from the weather and providing the inhabitants with delicious crop.

Sustainable Trellis *Made from an old fence*

   I decided to take some gauged wire fencing and some pieces of old wood I tore off from a fence I was no longer using to make a suitable trellis for my Pole Beans. A key thing about being or trying to be sustainable is to reuse anything in your possession for a new purpose. Like these pieces of wood I used for making this trellis a little over 8 feet high (2,6 metres). I will be using the rest of the wood to make signs for my various plants in my garden. *Which I will post a new article regarding each step I use, the tools I use and what materials I found throughout my property.*

   Pole Beans really do NEED a trellis to grow properly or else the vines will just go everywhere and be more accessible to bad bugs and most of all will not feel the wind and won't attract bees properly to it.

   Remember to try to reuse everything you can on your property in a gardeners sense. It's easier and less costly in the long run, which will give you more cash to buy newer seeds or more essential gardening materials. Keep in touch to see my sustainability progress and witness a change in the desert! Follow me on the following Social Media Outlets for constant updates and rants! I ALWAYS FOLLOW BACK!! <3

TWITTER   PINTREST   GOOGLE+   INSTAGRAM   YOUTUBE   BLOGSPOT




HyperSmash

No comments:

Post a Comment

Fall Crops, easy crops for beginners part 5 Spinach and Broccoli

And we are back with the 5th entry in the FALL CROPS series!! In this entry I will be covering on how to plant and take care of Spinach an...